MFM main site
January 17, 2018, 09:36:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pokemon Professor help!  (Read 22860 times)
Anduril135
Silver Member

« on: October 12, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »

I'm currentlt attempting to become a pokemon professor for the tcg and after taking the exam i failed with 11 answers away from a pass. Now I tried to find some rules and rulings on the site to help with the exam but cant find any anyone know where i can find them?

admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »

that test is pretty rock to be honest lots of long questions with very similar answers.  I can attempt my test again now as i failed the first time by a fair whack - i spose thats what happens when you take the test and are serving customers and running a shop.

Vini: Clone Shell is amazing!
Jake: No it's not it's rubbish!
Vini: What are you talking about it's great with Eldrazi, Emrakul turn 5 blamo!
Jake: Don't be silly you couldn't even win a fnm with it!
Vini: Right next week I'll play Clone Shell deck then ........ and the rest is history
Anduril135
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »

yeah it didnt help i was tryin to do it while i was ill but even so its really hard for a test on pokemon.

Scott Omlo
Bronze Member

Scomlo_

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:59:17 PM »

The Comprehencive Rules for pokemon tcg is the rulebook you get in a starter set i think. I guess that all the advanced rules are on the TCG site. ill have a quick look now!

Hello Smiley
Anduril135
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »

i thought i would post the email that the profeesor program gave me about the questions i got worng to see if anyone can see the right answer, unfortunately i only have my answer but they all the other answers sound roughly the same anyway.

You answered 21 out of 40 questions correctly. To pass the exam, you must answer at least 32 out of 40 questions correctly. You can find the questions that you answered incorrectly below:

Question: Using the GUARD Poké-Power, you attached Unown G (DP: GE, 57--Psychic) to your Active Leafeon LV.X (DP: MD, 99--Grass) last turn. On your opponent's turn, she attacks with Gardevoir's (DP: SW, 7--Psychic) Psychic Lock attack. You would like to use Leafeon's Energy Forcing Poké-Power next turn. Which of the following is correct?

Reference Text:
GUARD: Once during your turn (before your attack), if Unown G is on your Bench, you may discard all cards attached to Unown G and attach Unown G to 1 of your Pokémon as a Pokémon Tool card. As long as Unown G is attached to a Pokémon, prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to that Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon.

Energy Forcing: Once during your turn (before you attack), you may attach an Energy card from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon. This Power can't be used if Leafeon is affected by a Special Condition.

Psychic Lock: 60. During your opponent's next turn, your opponent can't use any Poké-Powers on his or her Pokémon.

You answered: GUARD prevents the non-damage effects of Psychic Lock on Leafeon LV.X, but not on your other Pokémon. You may use Energy Forcing on your next turn, but you cannot use any Poké-Powers on your other Pokémon.

Question: Fred uses a Roseanne's Research (DP: SW, 125--Supporter). He searches his deck for a Skull Fossil (DP: MT, 117--Trainer) and a {F} Energy. As Fred begins to shuffle his deck, his opponent calls for a judge and asks if Fred has made a legal play. As the judge, you tell them:

Reference Text:
Roseanne's Research:Search your deck for up to 2 in any combination of basic Pokémon and basic Energy cards, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Skull Fossil:Play Skull Fossil as if it were a {C} Basic Pokémon. (Skull Fossil counts as a Trainer card as well, but if Skull Fossil is Knocked Out, this counts as a Knocked Out Pokémon.) Skull Fossil can't be affected by any Special Conditions and can't retreat. At any time during your turn before your attack, you may discard Skull Fossil from play. (This doesn't count as a Knocked Out Pokémon.)

You answered: Fred used Roseanne's Research correctly because Fossil cards count as Basic Pokémon.

Question: On Fred's turn, he evolves his Active Feebas to Milotic (DP: GE, 25--Water) has the Marvel Scale Poké-Body. On Burt's turn, he Levels Up his Active Gardevoir (DP: SW, 7--Psychic) with Gardevoir LV.X (DP: SW, 131--Psychic). If he uses Gardevoir's Psychic Lock attack. What is the result?

Reference Text:
Marvel Scale: Prevent all effects of attacks, including damage, done to Milotic by your opponent's Pokémon LV.X.

Psychic Lock: 60. During your opponent's next turn, your opponent can't use any Poké-Powers on his or her Pokémon.

Level Up Rule: Put this card onto your Active Gardevoir. Gardevoir LV.X can use any attack, Poké-Power, or Poké-Body from its previous level.

You answered: The attack does no damage because of the effect of Marvel Scale, and Fred is not prevented from using Poké-Powers during his next turn.

Question: Rolf has an Active Venusaur (DP: SW, 20--Grass) with 30HP remaining, and has activated Unown G's (DP: GE, 57--Psychic) GUARD Poké-Power, and attached it to Venusaur. On his Bench, Rolf has a Claydol (DP: GE, 15--Fighting), with 30HP remaining. Roger has an Active Gardevoir LV.X (DP: SW, 131--Psychic) with 90HP remaining. Roger has no Pokémon on his Bench. Roger attacks with Bring Down and chooses Rolf's Venusaur to be Knocked Out. Rolf says that GUARD stops Bring Down from working on Venusaur. Rolf calls a judge. What is the correct ruling?

Reference Text:
Bring Down: Choose 1 Pokémon (yours or your opponent's) with the fewest remaining HP (excluding Gardevoir) and that Pokémon is now Knocked Out.

GUARD: Once during your turn (before your attack), if Unown G is on your Bench, you may discard all cards attached to Unown G and attach Unown G to 1 of your Pokémon as a Pokémon Tool card. As long as Unown G is attached to a Pokémon, prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to that Pokémon by your opponent's Pokémon.
You answered: Venusaur is an illegal target for Bring Down because GUARD prevents it from being Knocked Out. Roger is allowed to select Claydol as the new target for his attack, Knocking it out instead.

Question: Mark attacks with Cacturne (DP: GE, 34--Darkness), using the Pin Missle attack. Cacturne has 1 Darkness Special Energy and 1 Darkness Basic Energy attached to it. What is the result of the attack?

Reference Text:
Pin Missile: Flip 3 coins. This attack does 20 damage times the number of heads.

Darkness Special Energy: If the Pokémon Darkness Energy is attached to attacks, the attack does 10 more damage to the Active Pokémon (before applying Weakness and Resistance). Ignore this effect unless the Attacking Pokémon is Darkness type or has Dark in its name.

You answered: 1 and 3 are both correct.

Question: Aerren's Entei (DP: SW, 4--Fire) attacks with Blaze Roar, powered by a {R} Energy card and a Holon's Castform (a special energy providing two energy of all types). He flips tails as part of the attack. What best describes what should happen next?

Reference Text:
Blaze Roar : 60. Does 20 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) Flip a coin. If tails, discard 2 {R} Energy attached to Entei.

You answered: Aerren places damage then discards the Holon's Castform.

Question: Wilbur uses his Kingdra's (DP: LA, 7--Water) Aqua Stream attack to attack Ed's Wormadam Sandy Cloak (DP: SW, 42--Fighting) with the Sandy Cloak Poké-Body. There are 8 {W} Energy cards in Wilbur's discard pile. If Wilbur chooses all 8 {W} Energy cards, what happens?

Reference Text:
Aqua Stream: Search your discard pile for as many {W} Energy cards as you like, show them to your opponent, and this attack does 10 damage for each {W} Energy card you chose. Put those cards on top of your deck. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Sandy Cloak: Prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to Wormadam Sandy Cloak.

You answered: Wilbur can use the attack, but Sandy Cloak prevents the effect of counting or retrieving the Energy cards from Wilbur's discard pile, so no damage is done.

Question: What is the correct order to figure out damage?
You answered: Start with the base damage, apply effects from Defending Pokémon's last attack or Pokémon Powers, figure effects from Trainer and Energy cards, Resistance, Weakness, figure damage effects on the attacking Pokémon, put damage counters, do anything else the attack does.

Question: Which of the following statements about Special Energy cards that provide basic Energy are incorrect?
You answered: If a Special Energy card provides a type of basic Energy, it is considered an Energy of that type.

Question: Under the new Diamond & Pearl rules, how many Unowns can you have in your deck?
You answered: You can have a maximum of 4 Unowns in any combination from any set.

Question: Which of the following statements is true concerning LV.X Pokémon?
You answered: A LV.X keeps all attacks, Poké-Powers, and Poké-Bodies from all stages under it.

Question: You're a Professor judging at a local Unlimited tournament. During the pregame procedure Jeff plays his Active and Benched Pokémon before his opponent checks to see if he or she has a Basic Pokémon. What is the appropriate penalty in this situation?
You answered: Have Jeff return his cards to his hand until his opponent resolves any mulligans. No penalty is necessary, as it was an easily corrected error.

Question: At a Spring Battle Road tournament, you are preparing to cut to the top four. When you print the standings report, you notice that the players in 4th and 5th place have identical records, including the Opponent's Win Percentage and Opponent's Opponent's Win Percentage, which are normally what is used to break ties. The players did not battle each other in the Swiss rounds. How do you determine which player makes the top 4 cut?
You answered: If they have any losses, you look to see which of them lost a game first. The player who lost first would place 5th. If they both lost in the same round, then they must play a 1-Prize-card Sudden Death match to determine 4th place.

Question: In a City Championship tournament, Serena notices that Mary has a card from one of the 2004 World Championships decks sitting face down on the table. She asks Mary why the card is there, and Mary tells her that she has a foreign-language card in her deck and is using the card as a reference. Serena calls for a judge, claiming that cards from World Championships decks cannot be used in sanctioned tournaments. How do you rule?
You answered: You issue Mary a Caution and tell her to put the Worlds card away. She has to have a copy of the Card-Dex in order to use foreign-language cards.

Question: Tournament reports are considered delinquent after how many days?
You answered: 21

Question: You are running a tournament with 69 players. There are 5 players in the Junior age division, 39 players in the Senior age division and 25 players in the Masters age division. Because there are fewer than 6 players in one of the age groups, the tournament will use Age Modified. What is the maximum number of Swiss rounds that should be run?
You answered: 5

Question: In competitive play, you could receive a Caution/Warning for:
You answered: Taking more than 2 minutes for shuffling and setup at the start of the game.

Question: Anthony is very excited to be playing in his first official Pokémon tournament. He is so excited in fact that he forgot to draw a Prize for Knocking Out his opponent's Pokémon last turn and didn't draw a card at the start of this turn but instead he immediately declared his attack for this turn. Once Anthony realizes his mistake he asks his opponent if he can take his prize, draw a card for the start of turn and then decide if he wants to use one of those cards before he attacks. The opponent says that since he has entered the attack portion of his turn he cannot do either of those things and must continue with the attack. A judge is called. What is the correct way to resolve this problem?
You answered: Anthony may take his Prize and draw a card for this turn, then he can play either of those cards before he attacks.

Question: Lindsey has trouble shuffling her deck. Her opponent asks if she would ask the judge to shuffle her deck, which she does. Once the judge finishes shuffling the deck, what can happen next?
You answered: Lindsey's opponent gets to cut the deck.

Scott Omlo
Bronze Member

Scomlo_

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »

Wow!

Hello Smiley
LeoAce542
Copper Member

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »

from what i can see
Question: Fred uses a Roseanne's Research (DP: SW, 125--Supporter). He searches his deck for a Skull Fossil (DP: MT, 117--Trainer) and a {F} Energy. As Fred begins to shuffle his deck, his opponent calls for a judge and asks if Fred has made a legal play. As the judge, you tell them:

Reference Text:
Roseanne's Research:Search your deck for up to 2 in any combination of basic Pokémon and basic Energy cards, show them to your opponent, and put them into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Skull Fossil:Play Skull Fossil as if it were a {C} Basic Pokémon. (Skull Fossil counts as a Trainer card as well, but if Skull Fossil is Knocked Out, this counts as a Knocked Out Pokémon.) Skull Fossil can't be affected by any Special Conditions and can't retreat. At any time during your turn before your attack, you may discard Skull Fossil from play. (This doesn't count as a Knocked Out Pokémon.)

You answered: Fred used Roseanne's Research correctly because Fossil cards count as Basic Pokémon.
fossile counts as trainer cards at all times except the very start of the game, after that even in turn one that you go first, you can not play them since they count as trainer, so searching for them with roseanne is out of the question

Reference Text:
Aqua Stream: Search your discard pile for as many {W} Energy cards as you like, show them to your opponent, and this attack does 10 damage for each {W} Energy card you chose. Put those cards on top of your deck. Shuffle your deck afterward.

Sandy Cloak: Prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to Wormadam Sandy Cloak.

You answered: Wilbur can use the attack, but Sandy Cloak prevents the effect of counting or retrieving the Energy cards from Wilbur's discard pile, so no damage is done.
80 damage is dealt regardless, since its prevent all effect of attack DONE to wormadam, not prevent all effect.

thats the only 2 i spot, and there are a few other sketchy ones like venusure+unknown G vs bring down, since unknown G prevents effect of an attack, the attack itself would hit venusure just does zero damage, like machamp's attack on unknown G protected sp pokemon, however without knowing the other options, its almost impossible to tell
Anduril135
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »

i think the right answer for the fossil question is that it cant be searched cos its a trainer card and only counts as basic when it hits the field much like many yugi effects thats what i think.

the aqua stream question wasnt just based on the damage it was also about whether the energy in discard where put back into the deck, which i think would be negated but damage would be done.

the venusaur question i think is that venusaur is a legal target but doesnt get hit.

thanks for the help though LeoAce
If anyone has got any tournament running help that appeared in the questions that would help too, i do know the answer to the last question i posted though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:44:29 AM by Anduril135 » Logged

NoPoke
Copper Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »

Lots of answers on the TeamCompendium website. http://compendium.pokegym.net/ The members of Team Compendium also answer questions on the official forum that is open to League leaders, League Owners, tournament Organisers and Pokemon Professors.

A couple of things you have to determine to answer many of the test questions:

Where does the effect reside?
What if anything is being done to a particular pokemon?

Much like most card games unless the card is in play it is just a named piece of paper. Which is why roseanne's research can't fetch a fossil out of the deck as a fossil is a TRAINER card and not a basic pokemon whilst in the deck, hand, discard.

Anduril135
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 03:53:29 PM »

well after takin the test again i have failed but with 23 out of 40 so its getting better lol

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: