MFM main site
October 22, 2018, 07:36:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Marines Vs The Green Tide  (Read 8556 times)
hairypig
Copper Member

« on: April 07, 2009, 07:51:06 PM »

Hello,

I am fairly new to 40k gaming and have only played a handfull of games. So any advice no matter how trivial would be brilliant. I play a small Ultramarines force comprosing of several Tactical Squads, Terminators, Assault Squads, Scout Squad and a Predator Tank.

I have still to assemble a Vindicator as well as a Devastator and Bike Squad.

Recently whenever my marines have faced the foul Ork menace they have most definatly come off worse for wear. The Orks appear on my side of the table (via truks) in no time at all and so suffer minimal casualties to shooting. They then throw out an unfeasble amount of high strength attacks, some of which negate my armour saves completley.

I have found Terminators to be near useless against them as they get completley outnumbered where as usually when I deep strike behind other armies units I muller them.

Would using drop pods help stake my claim in the game early on or would this be spreading my marines even thinner? All of this is clutching at straws really. Would any particular units or tactics prove especially effective?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated,

Ant  Cheesy

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.
Ego Ninja
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »

I think your major Ork issue is the fact that you split your fire far to much, concentrate on a few units at a time (the ones with power klaws would help Wink)

The other issue youve always had with Orks is a lack of luck, you do roll alot of 1's  Wink

Darak Vardek
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »

first off don't think about drop pods, for someone as what i expect new as you, i doubt you can get the full use out of them. no offence intended.

secondly, don't deep strike your terminators, hide them behind your tactical squads as counter attacks.

thirdly give your devastators either 4 heavy bolters or 4 missile launchers, or a mix if u lack parts, perfect anti ork weapons and work well against other races.

fourthly what's your tactical squads equipped with. the right weapons can make the difference.

fifthly, whats your pred got?

sixthly, orks don't like mas bolter fire, get with in 12 and rapid fire the green buggers, flamers are very good too

seventhly whats your commander got?
hairypig
Copper Member

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:12:59 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

My tactical squads have flamers and missile launchers-one squad has a plasma cannon. Predator has the autocannon and heavy bolters load out.

And my captain has a relic blade and bolter. I think I am lacking in HQ choices, would a Chaplain help or dont you think its necessary?

I will have to try that with the Terminators, would be more reliable I suppose than having to guess when they will arrive.

Cheers,

Ant  Cheesy

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.
Darak Vardek
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »

no worries

give your predator the sergeant upgrade to up it to BS5 so it really can shoot down orks with 2+ to hit.

another HQ isn't that necessary, if u do want one, take a special character one

use the combat squad rule marines have so when u have a 10 man squad split it to 2, 1 half have the sergeant, flamer and 3 men, and the other have, heavy weapon and 4 men, this way you can have fire support from the heavy and the flamer and sergeant can be more aggressive.

also just because u can deployed far forward as possible don't, try to increase the distance between u and the orks
Dark Angels Master Azrael
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »

what pts you playing

LSMMTUAFIMC
hairypig
Copper Member

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 07:14:19 AM »

Size of games round about 2k. Usually standard pitched battle deployment with objective markers to capture and hold.

Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:17:20 PM »

going against orks play a land raider crusader

LSMMTUAFIMC
Grimlock
Gold Member

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »

its ok but bare in mind the phases nobs + powerclaws. better to how LOTS of fire power against orcs as well as lots of templates. better land raider to take is the redemer as it has twin-linked heavy flamers if memory serves and thus re-rolling failed wounds an no save cept invulnrable for them Cheesy

Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »

Smiley crusader has 3 twin linked bolters on each side which means no save except invulnerable twin linked assault cannons,multi melta and upgrades and has better range

LSMMTUAFIMC
Grimlock
Gold Member

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »

yeah but u have to roll to hit an those only re-rolls u get an u can only get max of 6/12 were as redemer is template so cos its flamer will automaticly hit, an then ur rolling 3's to kill an re-rolling too were as bolter is 3+ to hit 4+ to would an only get re-roll on the hit. an still got the melta on the redem to i beleive

Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »

flamer template is small

LSMMTUAFIMC
admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »

no its not you can cover about 10 models with the Flamer Template - at last glance i believe thats more hits then any other gun can get in the standard game except maybe the demolisher cannon

Vini: Clone Shell is amazing!
Jake: No it's not it's rubbish!
Vini: What are you talking about it's great with Eldrazi, Emrakul turn 5 blamo!
Jake: Don't be silly you couldn't even win a fnm with it!
Vini: Right next week I'll play Clone Shell deck then ........ and the rest is history
Gold Member

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

you've got to get the orks right by the side of the tank

LSMMTUAFIMC
hairypig
Copper Member

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »

Thanks for all the advice.

I do quite fancy a redeemer, dont the flame canons ignore cover as well? I think from all of your posts big templates are the way to go with assault troops in reserve, and in the shooting phase target one unit at a time to completly wipe it out. Just need to get glueing...  Undecided

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: