MFM main site
January 17, 2018, 03:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commander (EDH) League BETA  (Read 26129 times)
Dyce
Silver Member

« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »

I would even be tempted to reduce killing players to +1 for killing a player +1 for killing with general and thats it, its a single bonus point for each no matter how many people you kill. It would force people to concentrate on staying alive rather than trying to kill everyone (max points per table would there for be 6 keeping the people with the highest points total from getting to far away from everyone)

Only slight problem with either suggestion is that the first person out can only ever get 1 point (2 if 3 player)

I do agree though that somehow the league structure seems to influence people into being slightly cutthroat compared to when we are just playing in the shop and there tends to be a lot more fun/memorable moments

You could always still have a list of things for people to try and do, just they wouldn't have points for doing them of those points didn't factor in in the same way.

Or how about writing a list of things to try and do then randomising them and giving each player maybe 5 or so to try and do without letting the other players on the table in on it, bingo style maybe? a bit like in some board/miniature games you can have secret missions? Then maybe if people complete them all then get a point or promo something?

One of the main reasons It might not have worked so well is that unlike Armada we don't typically have time for a second round in an evening, I still think there should be some form of queue system where people who have finished a game can move into another when enough people become available  although getting rid of points entirely would be the easiest way of implementing it

The cat in the hat.
admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »

So with the new Commander League upon us I think Tim, Phil and I have come up with a way of making a League that doesn't encourage quick kills, a points system for players to abuse, or any negatives,  but does include FUN, prizes and achievements! "Ohh" I hear you say "Tell me more"

Commander League Season II Rules

The Commander League will run for 4 months every 3rd Friday of the Month. Each week players will be set in 3/4 person pods and play off to see who is the victor. We have decided to scrap the points system we used before and have opted for an Achievement System with players unlocking the achievements for pulling off tasks during the games.

There are 12 different Achievements that players will have to unlock throughout the 4 Commander Nights! Each League Night a player will randomly choose 3 locked Achievements to complete!

Achievements will award players in two ways:

- In order to take out another player you must have 1 achievement

- if you unlock 3 achievements in a League Night you will receive a random booster pack (supplied by the club)

Players locked achievements are kept secret while playing a Commander game and are revealed to all players on completion of the set task!

You can only receive an achievement on an empty stack!

At the end of the League if a player has unlocked all 12 Achievements they will receive an additional booster

Achievements

Back in the Fight! - Play your general twice in a single game

Multi Kill! - Destroy 2 or more creatures from opposing opponents

Combined Effort! - Control 2 or more Creatures that add up to a combined power, or toughness of 10

Underdog! - Destroy a Permanent with a greater rarity then the card used

Share the Pain! - Deal damage to 2 or more players in one turn

Old McDonalds! - Control 3 different creature types at once (on 3 different creatures)

Well Travelled! - Cast a spell using 3 or more non-basic land

10ft Under! - Have 10 or more cards in your Graveyard

Bountiful Harvest! - Produce 10 or more mana in a single turn

Swings and Roundabouts! - Have a difference of 10 life points from an opponent

Highlander! - Control 1 of each Artifact, Enchantment, Creature and Land at the same time

Shift! - Move a card from one zone to another by using the effect/ability on a card (zones are exhiled, graveyard, in play, deck)! This doesnt include drawing from you deck

Thanks to Tim, Phil, Clive and Luke for the imput
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:43:14 AM by admin » Logged

Vini: Clone Shell is amazing!
Jake: No it's not it's rubbish!
Vini: What are you talking about it's great with Eldrazi, Emrakul turn 5 blamo!
Jake: Don't be silly you couldn't even win a fnm with it!
Vini: Right next week I'll play Clone Shell deck then ........ and the rest is history
MikeOke
Gold Member

« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »

Looks good to me... Is Phil back in Cornwall then?

Mike Oke
Bringing "Tough" to a new low
For the Motherland!
admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »

The response so far is good. I'm just hoping it works! Yes Phil is back but I warned him he's got to play nice Smiley

Vini: Right next week I'll play Clone Shell deck then ........ and the rest is history
MikeOke
Gold Member

« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »

Thank you kindly Mr. Chairman Tongue

The points system looks good... Unlike the old system, I think every achievement is attainable with any deck... apart from Old Macdonald...  My elf deck would struggle to achieve that goal...

Just to confirm, with shift, this includes moving an opponent's creature from the battlefield to the graveyard by smacking it in the face?

Mike Oke
For the Motherland!
admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2011, 06:38:57 AM »

Sorta i didnt explain it very well! I have changed it to read with effect or ability of a card, rather then just moving you card to the graveyard when it dies lol! tbh it was a last minute one I added as I seem to have missed one off our list we did at shop! I think nearly all of those achievements are achievable by all decks like you say! Some are a bit tricky, but no rocket science is needed like the last leagues pt system!

Were hoping this will encourage a longer game as people will want to get achievements for the booster and they will also add a fun element with out it turning into a pts lawyering session
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:48:02 AM by admin » Logged

MikeOke
Gold Member

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2011, 09:13:54 AM »

So combat would not meet this achievement, but a shock would? Also, if you make an opponent sac a creature, who gets the point?  Not picking holes, I'm just simple and need total clarity Tongue also, are these achievements the only way to score, or are there points for winning, or knocking out another player?

Mike Oke
For the Motherland!
admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:58 PM »

Correct! You would get it cos you made it move from one zone to another, even though they choose! No points system as it seemed to make things unfun and complicated! The achievements aren't really points either, they are exactly as they state an achievement, get 3 achievements you have randomly chosen to receive a booster - winning the actually game is just a bonus at this stage! Also you have to have an achievement to be able to knock someone out of the pod!

We made the achievements pretty simple at this stage, next league they may be harder, or we might think of another way of doing it Smiley

admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »

Well that went fairly well, everyone received a booster for completing their achievements and no one moaned! All players seemed to have FUN which was the aim! Any suggestions or comments about the night?

MikeOke
Gold Member

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »

Yes... do it again next month!

Mike Oke
For the Motherland!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: