MFM main site
September 25, 2020, 09:10:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can any of you bros shed some light on this rumoured ruling change for me please  (Read 6554 times)
JJ
Copper Member

« on: June 05, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »

Hey guys,

I've been messing about with some old yu gi oh decks the past few days and a little birdie told me about a rumoured change to the way ignition effects work (Basically you can't use spell speed 1 monster (eg. Lonefire, Brionac etc.) abilities before your opponent has a chance to react with a spell speed 2 Bottomless).  Now I know this change went into effect in the OCG back in March but I keep seeing rumours on the net about it also having been put into effect in the TCG on May 31st.  I'm pretty sure this is a mistake but yet there are a lot of people out there on the net who seem to think this is the case.  

Since this is like the number one hotspot for yu gi oh heroes I figured the best place to ask for a definitive answer on it would be here.  

If I am right in saying that this rumour is falsified, does anyone know if and when they actually do have plans to implement this into the TCG as well?

Thanks,

JJ
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:34:21 PM by JJ » Logged
shadowseymour
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »

I've heard the same thing. Apparently the whole idea of "Summon Priority" is getting scrapped when they release the new generation of YuGiOh, as they have done in Japan. It's still unclear if that will affect TCG players, but if it does it'll completely change the way YuGiOh is played. We'll just have to wait for "Dawn of the Xyz" until we know whether that rule has changed.

It's time to do some major DOMINATION!!!
JJ
Copper Member

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:59:32 AM »

Well, summoning priority has always seemed a little counterintuitive.  I mean, those monster abilities are the same spell speed as a normal Magic card, and you don't have the opportunity to play one of those in between a summon and your opponent activating a trap hole do you?  But I gave up trying to use logic when figuring out how things work in yu gi oh a long time ago since the rules contradict themselves so much.  It's part of its charm.
admin
TeamMfM
Administrator
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:10 PM »

It's true priority has always been a bit of a struggle when teaching new players and often pops up now and again in rulings on not so new players! Supposedly I heard the game was never supposed to have priority in the first place, I can only assume this was added either last minuet or something UDE added!

Vini: Clone Shell is amazing!
Jake: No it's not it's rubbish!
Vini: What are you talking about it's great with Eldrazi, Emrakul turn 5 blamo!
Jake: Don't be silly you couldn't even win a fnm with it!
Vini: Right next week I'll play Clone Shell deck then ........ and the rest is history
JJ
Copper Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »

Although I think it would be a good change for slowing down the game and keeping monsters with incredibly powerful ignition effects under control - not to mention for teaching new players and dodging some annoying rules questions - the game just wouldn't feel quite right without the weird priority system.  I mean, imagine back in the day summoning your Chaos Emp and getting it Trap Holed without being able to do anything.

I guess I'm just a sucker for nostalgic rules that clutter and overcomplicate the game for no good reason.  I was bitter about them taking away stacking damage in Magic for ages despite being well aware that it was probably going to make the game better.
shadowseymour
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 09:52:44 AM »

Well the rules say that the turn player maintains Priority until certain conditions are net. They pass priorty if they, and i'm quoting from the rulebook, "play a card or activate an effect". If that is to be correct then once a monster has been summoned, the turn player has used Priority to do so and therefore must pass Priority to their opponents who can then respond to the summon. Therefore implying that they cannot have "Summon Priority", unless the opponent has countered with a card with Spell Speed 1 or the monster has an effect with Spell Speed 2 or higher (eg. Stardust Dragon)

It's time to do some major DOMINATION!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: